David Mutch scored Gold on the British Bitters table at the 2023 Scottish Nationals with a Best Bitter. He’s kindly shared the recipe below.
11B Best Bitter
- ABV 5.9%
- OG 1.056
- FG 1.011
- IBU 69
- Mash 66C
- 81% Thomas Fawcett Pale Maris Otter
- 8% Crisp Amber Malt
- 8% Crisp Crystal Malt
- 3% Simpsons Brown Malt
- 60min: East Kent Goldings to 16 IBU and Northern Brewer to 33 IBU
- 15min: East Kent Goldings to 8 IBU and Northern Brewer to 8 IBU
- 5min: East Kent Goldings to 5 IBU
- Wyeast 1968 – London ESB
- Strike at 73C to hit a mash temp of 66C.
- Mash for 60 minutes
- Mash out at 75C for 10 minutes.
- Check Ph and adjust to 5.2 with lactic acid.
- Add protofloc and yeast nutrient with 10 mins remaining in the boil.
- David adds Clarityferm to the fermenter to help with his gluten intolerance.